First, we would like to thank Pastor Dennis Bennell for taking care of our news letter while we have been away. We are blessed by his ministry to us.
We have been in Kenya for 3 1/2 months and have been working to get the house closed up before the rainy season, because it is impossible to navigate the dirt roads in Kakuyuni during the rains. It is like trying to drive in 12″ of Crisco, so we knew that we had to work hard to get the T/T house closed up before the rains come.
We want to bring you up to date on the progress of the T/T house. Below is a list of the things done in our time here in Kenya.
As you read this list we want you to keep in mind that ALL construction is done by hand with rough material and workers who have had little to no formal training. Every stone must be cut to size and faced by chiseling the face. All lumber is rough sawn and varies in size.
As Ric teaches them new methods of Construction the men often have to unlearn wrong procedures and bad habits before you can teach them the correct method of construction. This takes a lot of time and patience and is a daily exercise because they revert to the old ways very quickly.
In their experience they have NEVER built anything that is plumb, level and square. Steps are never the same height. (just to give you a small idea of the things they need to learn.)
The men have been very excited to learn new and better methods of building and have really been working together as a team.
We kept a small crew this time so that the teaching and learning experience would be more beneficial.
Also, all construction, except the rafters, is of native stone and concrete, because wood cost 2x’s as much and the white ants eat the wood.
The Team/Training house has been the major focus this time, because it is necessary that we complete it as soon as possible, because prices of all material continue to rise at a rapid rate, as much as 20% every 6 months.
List of things accomplished during our recent trip:
- Finished all stone work and arch on the upstairs balcony.
- Poured concrete ring beam around the 2nd floor (Govt. Requirement)
- Handwork Construction included: 15 wood trusses for second floor roof, hundreds of 2×4 bracings, 1200 ft of wood pearling strips, installation of metal striping for roof, and installation of 1100 sq ft of clay tiles on 2nd floor.
- Built stair well walls and concrete steps form 1st floor to 2nd floor.
- 4″ block partition for upstairs bathroom and installed some plumbing
- Cut and shaped ( by hand) all 6×9″ stone window sills.
- Installed all windows and doors, made in Nairobi, literally on the ground (by hand) Then we installed 650 pieces of glass in them.
- Dug and poured footings for main gate post and personal gate. Post 24″ square of hand cut stones.
- Extensive grading around entrance, house, and drive way.
- At present the well is dug to 20′. 4′ diameter 8″ thick concrete apron around 10′ square. This is to stabilize the ground so that the digging of the well can be completed.
- MINISTRY WORK
- Jane taught two, three day ladies conferences in rural villages. The Holy Spirit really moved in the lives of the ladies.
- The teaching was from Ephesians about our position in Christ, and what the Lord desires for us as believers.
- Our position has always been “Life style” Evangelism where ever we go. God has given us many opportunities to share Christ this time.
- We have seen two of our friends receive Christ, as we have spent time with them and challenged them.
- As Ric is teaching the men construction, he is also teaching them Godly principles, and purpose for doing the work well. I Cor. 10: 13. “What ever you do….. do all for the Glory of God.”
Our desire is to finish the T/T house so that we can minister daily. As a reminder the T/T House will be used for the purpose of:
- Housing for Ric and Jane (enable us to get out of Nairobi because it is very expensive to live there and to travel to and from Kakuyuni)
- Housing for Teams from the U. S. who will have a 100 mile radius to teach, preach, and minister
- Headquarters for a “One Year Bible Correspondence Course” for 1000 students
- Home base for showing the “Jesus Film” to 100’s of villages, marketplaces, schools and churches
- Bible studies, Fellowship, ladies/men’s seminars
- Marriage conferences
- And much, much more….. “because the ministry opportunities are limitless.”
Between July 10,2013 and Oct. 20, 2013, we have spent all the funds which have come in (and more) on the T/T house.
- The funds for the well are separate and are being raised by a 15 year old girl from Ohio.
Estimated cost to complete the Team/Training house for occupancy and for ministry is………………$12,875.00
- This does not include any other expenses. Only the completion of the house.
- Does not include, Airfare, Living expenses in Kenya or any other expenses.
- Our desire is to keep you informed of the progress and to be good stewards of God’s money.
- If you desire a detailed list of needs to complete the T/T house, please feel free to ask us and we will send it to you.
- Please visit our “Construction Update” page for pictures of the House up to this date
We ask you to continue to pray for us, for safety, and good health.
Thank you for your continued financial and prayerful support for this project and the ministry. All for the KINGDOM PURPOSE!!!!!!!!!!!
In the Lord’s Service, Till He comes.
Love Ric and Jane Taylor